The endless summer is good and bad. It is yet another beautiful day here in Perth. I just love these warm balmy days and mild evenings. However, I also appreciate it might not be so good for the farmers amongst us...
This time next week Nilla and I plan on being back in Albany. Nilla's surgeon is happy with her progress and says he does not need to see her until 15 August.
We are staying on for the next week, so that Nilla can benefit from the geothermal pool she uses for her recovery.
This week I thought it worth covering a couple components of travel that we all experience...
- The importance of back up cards when travelling: I came across this article in the Sunday Times a couple of weeks back that I feel is too important to ignore. As the article states, it is general in nature and I recommend you ask one of our team for guidance to your specific travel.
- "Why Nobody Cares About Your Travel": How many times have you been bursting to share your amazing travel experience with friends and family, only to be left feeling... they don't care!!! Scroll down to read more...
- Many tour companies offer priority access; Skipping the queues and beating the crowds, but there's only one company that takes the crowds away and that's Tauck! This is only for people who want that something extra special from your travel experiences. Scroll down to view these small group journeys.
- "For the love of the Irish" Could there be a better way to finish your European travel experience than this? Scroll down to view more on Irish Indulgence!
Nilla and I are getting excited about our return to Albany next week. The old saying there is "no place like home" is ringing true for us.
Enjoy the weather and your weekend as I am sure it can't be too long before it becomes wintery.
The Importance Of Back Up Cards When Travelling
We just arrived home from a five-week trip to Paris and London, and finally Los Angeles where we were with our son, James, for the birth of his first child. Despite the 50-hour labour, mother and daughter are doing fine. The trip gave me an opportunity to updated my research ont he most efficient ways to pay overseas.
The first point of difference in this trip was it was cashless. All local transport was by Uber, we carried our own bags in hotels, and we used cards everywhere else.
Why Nobody Cares About Your Travel Experience...
You return from your holiday, excited to share your amazing experiences, and no one cares. You expect your friends would be excited for you but, although they may listen politely and nod their head while they resist the urge to look at their watch, you quickly realise, they would rather be talking about almost anything else.
This is a rather common phenomenon, and there have been scientific studies that discovered why. It turns out; it isn’t (primarily) about jealousy; the problem is about context. Your adventures are unrelatable.
Most people are simply more interested in talking about familiar things than they are curious about the new things that you want to introduce to the conversation. Yes, there is a social cost associated with leaving the herd and having unique experiences.
Skip The Queue? How About A Private Show!
Many tour companies offer priority access; skipping the queues and beating the crowds, but there's only one company that takes the crowds away and that's Tauck.
When you're in one of their intimate small groups you'll enjoy insider access to the big attractions (sometimes after hours and all to yourself) as well as a host of experiences that are entirely unique. Their 90+ years’ of experience guiding trips around the world ensures that you fly under the radar, unhurried and unherded, so you can enjoy a more authentic & deeper travel experience.
Ready to explore Tauck Style?! Then scroll down to read about our three featured journeys.
Northern Spain, The Rioja Valley & Madrid
14 Day Small Group Journey from Barcelona to Madrid
Explore the colourful, aromatic markets of Los Ramblas in Barcelona, and Gaudi’s stunning Art Nouveau cathedral. Visit the cliffside monastery at Montserrat to see the famous Black Madonna and panoramic views of Catalonia. Revel in a seven-course medieval feast at a castle in La Seu d’Urgell, spend two nights at Marques de Riscal, a spectacular boutique hotel designed by Frank Gehry, overlooking the vineyards of the beautiful Rioja Valley.
1. A seven-course feast in a medieval castle in La Seu d’Urgell, featuring cultural entertainment and regional cuisine
2. Private tour, tastings, and dinner at a winery in the Rioja Valley
3. Tapas tour and a Flamenco performance in Madrid
4. Lunch at historic Parador Gil Blas in Santillana del Mar, one of Spain’s most beautiful, and well-preserved, medieval villages
14 Day Small Group Journey from Naples to Venice
Enjoy an intimate travel experience on this best-seller in small, chic hotels in the heart of Sorrento, Rome, Venice and Florence. Visit Michelangelo’s vast painted drama on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, where your small group enjoys an after-hours visit. Explore along the blue expanse of the Amalfi Coast. Marvel at the haunting ruins of the Colosseum... in the passion of Renaissance scenes in the Uffizi and in the panorama of rolling vineyards.
Travelling Well Includes:
1. TAUCK’S YELLOW ROADS! Drive along the celebrated Amalfi Coast
2. SMALL GROUP DEPARTURES averaging 24 guests for a personal travel experience highlighted by stays at chic smaller hotels in fabulous locations
3. TAUCK EXCLUSIVE! After-hours guided tour of remarkable St. Mark’s Basilica in Venice
4. TAUCK EXCLUSIVE! After-hours guided visit to the Vatican Museums and the Sistine Chapel
5. A wine tasting from local vineyards in Umbria
6. An in-depth briefing by an art historian before a walking tour of Florence and a guided visit through the famed Galleria dell’Accademia, the oldest art school in Europe
7. A cruise along the Mediterranean shores of Cinque Terre
8. Private wine tasting in Florence hosted by a member of the Ferragamo family
9. Airport transfers upon arrival and departure
10. 26 meals, service charges, gratuities to local guides, admission fees, taxes and porterage
Scandinavia: Discover A Nordic Wonderland
14 Day Small Group Journey from Copenhagen to Oslo
This two-week Scandinavian journey has it all! Spectacular Fjords, castles, glaciers, and the legacy of the Vikings on travels through Denmark, Sweden, and Norway. Traverse the Swedish countryside... cruise through Norway’s dramatic fjords... see glaciers up close... visit a traditional wooden stave church... tour castles and palaces... have fun at Tivoli Gardens.
Travelling Well Includes:
1. TAUCK’S YELLOW ROADS! Journey across southern Sweden through forests and farmland
2. An included flight from Stockholm to Bergen
3. Privately guided tour of the Swedish Royal Opera House, followed by dinner
4. Ferry cruises on the waters of the Naeroyfjord & the Geirangerfjord.
5. Exclusive early-entry private visit to Denmark’s historic Frederiksborg Palace
6. Guided visits to Vasa Museum, Sofiero Slott, Rosenborg Palace, Stockholm City Hall and Borgund Stave Church
7. Admission to Copenhagen’s Tivoli Gardens
8. A ride aboard a “Troll Car” at Briksdal Glacier
9. Airport transfers upon arrival and departure
10. 31 meals (13 breakfasts, 9 lunches & 9 dinners), service charges, gratuities to local
guides, admission fees, taxes and porterage
*2020 itinerary and pricing has not been finalised, pre-reservation is open for preferred departure dates. Itinerary details above are based on 2019 and are subject to change once the 2020 trip has been finalised and priced. Guests have two weeks to cancel, should you cancel, a full refund of your trip deposit cost of the Travel Protection Product (if purchased) is provided. For guests air arrangements, please note start and end cities may change. Change and cancellation conditions apply and will be advised at the time of booking.
For The Love Of The Irish!
The word 'exclusive' gets used far too often in our industry, but it's the perfect description for this seven night 5 star chauffeur driven indulgent Irish adventure. Only available to the public via a small, select group of agencies across Australia, it includes a two night castle stay at Adare Manor recently named Hotel of the Year at the Virtuoso Best Of the Best Awards.
The exclusive touches don't stop there though, guests on this private tour will enjoy:
- A 5 course Adare Manor Taittinger-soaked fine dining experience
- Unique tours and private access to activities
- Celebrity-style airport departure with private security screening, suite access
- Transport in style in the form of Mercedes Benz S Class or BMW 7 Series
Scroll down for a few of the highlights of this incredible journey, then contacts us if you'd like to find out what exclusive REALLY means!
Day 2: Coastal Villages
After breakfast, tour north of Dublin visiting
the two stunning coastal villages of
Malahide & Howth. Take the Coast Road,
arguably the most scenic on Ireland’s
eastern seaboard, stopping at the harbor of
Howth, where the waters open into North
Dublin Bay. Continue on to Howth Summit to
take in the breathtaking panoramic views of
Dublin Bay & on to Wicklow beyond.
Day 5: Muckross House & Ring of Kerry
After breakfast, visit the 19th century
Muckross House for a guided tour followed
by a self-guided tour of its amazing gardens
which are located wholly within Killarney
National Park. Continue to the what will
surely be a cherished highlight of your time
in Ireland – The Ring of Kerry. Tour this
stunning coastal route with a new
breathtaking vista around every corner.
Day 3: Jameson Distillery Tour
Take the extended tour of Jameson
Distillery Midleton to gain a deeper insight
into the history, production, stories &
enjoyment of Jameson Irish Whiskey. Led
by expert Jameson Ambassadors, you will
be guided through key buildings such as
the Micro-distillery, the Cooperage, the
Maturation Warehouse as well as a very
special visit to the Distiller’s Cottage.
Tastings of premium whiskeys included
Day 7: Cliffs of Moher & The Burren
After breakfast in regal surroundings, meet
your private driver/guide to venture north
towards the Cliffs of Moher, one of
Ireland’s iconic landmarks before
continuing on to the unique lunar
landscapes of The Burren. Return to Adare
Manor for your final night in Ireland in
preparation for a truly magical evening of
The Highlight: Adare Manor
Adare Manor was a labour of love from the very start, created to delight, astonish and impress. That legacy is vividly alive in the manor house itself: sumptuously restored, brimming with gothic splendor, and perfectly appointed in every detail. It is reflected by a world-class staff whose personalised, intimate service centres you in the heart of the home.
As you roam the 840 acres of pristine parkland, play your way through the magnificent golf course, and sound the depths of relaxation in the spa, you will start to understand the soul of Adare Manor. It’s prestige without pretense and magic without nonsense.